What is the Literature Committee?
Today, as in the early days of Alcoholics Anonymous, the AA message of recovery from alcoholism is carried by one alcoholic talking to another. However, since the publication of the first edition of the Big Book in 1939, literature has played an important role in spreading the AA message and imparting information about the AA Twelve Step program of recovery.
The Mission of the Literature Committee is to provide support for informing our membership of available Conference-approved literature, audiovisual material and other special items used for carrying the AA message.
Experience indicates that a thorough knowledge of AA literature is a good way to assure that our primary purpose remains the focus for successful AA groups and members. You can be a part of the solution by emphasizing our books, pamphlets, audiovisual and service material. For more on this, all members of the Area 78 Literature Committee are encouraged to read the following bulletin from GSO:
- Literature Committee GuidelinesGuidelines for Literature Committees, compiled from the shared experience of AA members in various service areas who have formed literature committees.
The Literature Committee is responsible for the following tasks:
- Inform groups, district or area assembly members, through displays and other suitable methods, of all available Conference-approved literature, audiovisual material and other special items.
- Become familiar with the information on GSO’s AA Web Site (www.aa.org).
- Provide literature for groups, area, and district functions.
- Consider suggestions regarding proposed additions to and changes in Conference-approved literature and audiovisual material.
- Encourage AA members to read and purchase AA Conference-approved literature.
Promotes awareness of AA’s vast body of literature. Gives members, groups and AA service bodies a voice in decisions made regarding AA Conference-approved literature.
The literature committee is responsible for establishing policies, budgets, and procedures. It undertakes and maintains final responsibility and authority for the use of the literature display, and exercises its group conscience in regard to matters of general policy. In all of its actions, the literature committee needs to be mindful of and guided by AA’s primary purpose.
- Comprised of the Committee Chair and current DCM’s and GSR’s appointed to the committee by the Registrar for their two year term of service.
- Others selected for the committee may include past Area officers or long-time members recommended for their knowledge in a related discipline.
- Area 78 visitors may participate on this committee. They may not vote.
- Ensure that the Committee functions properly.
- Facilitate full participation during meetings.
- Make certain that all relevant matters are discussed.
- Insure that all committee decisions are recorded in the Area Minutes.
- Report directly to the Area Assembly on pertinent committee decisions.
- Travel to and present at workshops / roundups in the Area, upon request.
- Transport and set up the literature committee display at Area 78 Area Committee Meetings.
- Produce a synopsis of the background information on the Conference Agenda Items assigned by the Delegate for the Pre-Conference Assemblies.
Send an email to the Literature Chair by using the contact form below.